this saturday brittney will be bringing you sweet soul music as she dj's the harry rosen yorkdale store's denim event from 2-6 pm with special guest ryan gavel (ride the tiger). come dance with us in-store and in style!
fashion trends from the 1960's were so original, clean and versitile that it's so easy to replicate the classic "sixties look" for modern day wear. lindsay and myself are defintely displaced children of the sixties; women and men had never dressed so well and looked so good. and where it's one thing to take a shopping trip to your cutest local vintage store and score some original threads, it's about the over-all look that must be mastered to easily create an every-day retro look.
- black eyeliner, and lots of it. twiggy set the pace, along the likes of edie sedwick (andy warhol's muse), of ladies who brought huge dramatic eyes, accented with liquid liner and fake lashes; this is the key 60's make-up look for mods and rockers alike. so easy to do, and it looks good with any features.
- bangs. i'm sure both lindsay and i have gotten our points accross.
- plain, non-patterned knee-high boots or open flat shoes. every girl should have a pair of black AND white kitty heels/flats/ballet slippers without anything on them, just plain, and knee high boots in either pvc or leather. no buckles or add-ons. it's so easy to mix vintage dresses with plain, classic shoes... thus completing your look!
- tights, and lots of them. the sixties were all about tights; tights in all kinds of colours and patterns. if you're wearing a plain dress/skirt, go apeshit creative with your tights! if not, i must mention i will forever swear on the awesomness of plain, black, thick tights.
- polka dots and stripes. you can't go wrong with two of the boldest patterns found in sixties fashion!
- messy mop tops. boys, just take a gander at some old photos of the beatles, the stones, the kinks and herman's hermits. ladies find this look delicious. or, if you've got an afro, why not cut it like a young sly from sly and the family stone? also delicious.
- tight, drain-pipe trousers. again, see: the beatles.
- dancin' suits. not to be confused with a regular suit that you'd wear to the office or to a wedding; get yourself a vintage suit in either black, dark blue or brown (the three sexiest shades) and then pair it with a thin tie of the same colour, along with the backdrop of a plain white button-up shirt. the birds will flock.
- stripes. stripes look good on any man.
- blazers. as long as they're matched with a great pair of pants/dark jeans, you can pretty much wear anything underneath the blazer. i best recommend a plain polo, vintage paisley or perhaps a ben sherman/fred perry plaid short-sleeve.
This Friday night, Bangs & Blush are bringing FUCK IT to it's new home, Clintons (693 bloor st.)! The only party where us ladies toss all rules aside and play whatever the fuck they want. From Spice Girls to Dr. Dre, from Stevie Wonder to The Specials, from Bowie to The Smiths, Ol' Dirty Bastard to Oasis... we've got you covered. DRINK. DANCE. GET MESSY. FUCK IT. Meanwhile, where can we get one of these?